City Meetings are held the 2nd Monday of the Month at the Community of Christ Church

 (502) 261-0348


The City of Forest Hills provides many useful services for its residents. The services are paid for by the funds received from payment of the resident's property taxes and other funds provided by State and Federal Governments. Those services are:

  • Trash & Recycling


    Waste Management is the City's collection service.  Twice a week-back door collections - Household garbage Tues. & Fri.  Once a week yard waste - at curbside Tues. except Nov. when it is Tues. and Friday for leaf removal.   Once a week recycling pickup - at curbside Tues.  All pickups are one day later after a holiday. For information on what is new with Waste Management and what they can do for you, go to  Missed collection phone number is (502) 966-0117.


    Waste Management Current Year Schedule

    Recycling Information


  • Public Safety


    The City contracts with the Neighborhood Security and Asset Protection (NSAP) to patrol the neighborhood on a regular basis. The company is run by Lt. Alejandro Cabrera and all members of the organization are uniformed police officers with jurisdiction in Jefferson County, Kentucky. They are committed to enforcing speed limits as well as handle any suspicious activity during the course of their shifts with the City. They can also maintain a "house watch" during those times when a resident may be out of town for a period of time. Simply give the Commissioner of Public Safety or the City Office a call and the NSAP will be notified.


    Louisville Metro Police

    Disaster Preparedness


  • Reach Alert


    This system has been set up to let residents become aware of any activity going on in the City that is of an urgent matter, whether suspicious characters in the neighborhood, illegal solicitors, water line issues, missing or found animals, last minute changes in garbage collection or anything that residents should be alerted to in a quick manner. Sign up for this service is very easy. Go to and follow instructions. If you don't have a computer, you can call 502-235-9697 and they can add you to the list. You can receive a phone call, a text, or e-mail. We have had great success with this program.


  • Snow Removal


    The City provides for the salting of intersections and snow removal from streets based on established criteria set by the Mayor and City Board.  The service is provided by private contract to the City.  If you experience a problem during the snow and ice season, please call the Public Works Commissioners.  Also, if there is an accumulation of snow, all vehicles must be out of the street to accommodate snow removal.


  • Sewer, Drainage and Basement Leak Problems


    The City of Forest Hills has no jurisdiction over the drainage and sewer services provided within the City.  Total responsibility for these services and problems are assumed by the Metropolitan Sewer District a number of years ago.  These services are paid for by an addition to your bimonthly Louisville Water Company bill.  The number for Metropolitan Sewer District is 540-6000. If a problem continues to exist, it may be possible for an official of the City to intercede on your behalf, but please try the MSD Trouble Line first.


  • Street Signs, Lights and Road Maintenance


    The City provides for the ongoing resurfacing and repair of the City's streets.  The City is currently on a regular cycle of street resurfacing.  Most city streets last 15-20 years after they have been resurfaced unless they experience an unusual amount of traffic.  Please call the Public Works Commissioner if you happen to spot a problem with a particular street or pothole.  The City is also responsible for traffic signs.  When utilizing traffic and utility poles for "lost dog or cat" signs, we request all such signs be removed within one week and without damage to the sign poles.  Poles must not be used for yard sale, garage sale, etc. signs.  If you notice a light out near your house, please contact the City Office or Public Works Commissioner so that we can notify LG&E.


  • Building Permits / Exterior Home Improvements


    The City of Forest Hills is a “Home Rule Class” City and does not have zoning authority.  Further, the City of Forest Hills has adopted the Louisville Metro Land Development Code.  The following information should make your project run a little smoother.


    Anyone building, constructing, removing, or otherwise impacting the structure of a building should contact Louisville-Jefferson County Metro Government Department of Codes and Regulations to determine if they need a building permit.  Their contact information is Metro Development Center, 444 South 5th Street, Suite 100, Louisville, Kentucky 40202-4314.  Telephone: (502) 574-3321 Fax: (502) 574-4356.


    If it is determined that you need a building permit you will also have to obtain a Letter of Compliance from the City of Forest Hills.  This must accompany your application to Metro Codes and Regulations.


    The City Clerk is the point of contact for the City of Forest Hills for any requests for permits or letters of compliance.  Depending on the request the Clerk will issue the approval or forward your request to the City engineer’s office.  The City engineer may take up to three days to issue a response.  This response may not be an approval.  For example the response may be more information is needed.  This is why it is very important to provide as much information as possible when submitting a request.  Approval from the City of Forest Hills does not guarantee approvals from other state or local agencies that may be required.


    Further, the City of Forest Hills does not mark or locate utility easements, setbacks, building lines, property lines or right of ways.  If you need this information you should contact a Professional Land Surveyor.


    Failure to request and receive the appropriate approval may delay, or stop the project while that approval is obtained.  Further, beginning construction activities prior to obtaining this approval can result in changes in the scope of work.  If you have questions about the process we encourage you to contact the City Clerk and or the City Engineer’s office.


    The following items do not require a permit or approval from the City of Forest Hills:

    • Renovation or repair to the interior of a house, garage or other building. Louisville Metro issue building permits.  Any interior renovation that may involve plumbing, electrical or structural work Louisville Metro may require a permit be obtained.
    • Interior or exterior painting.
    • Exterior maintenance or repairs. (This includes roofing, shudders, windows and siding).
    • Landscape maintenance or installation. (All landscape should be kept out of the public right of way, existing landscape needs to be removed or kept trimmed to not obstruct sight triangles for drivers and to not otherwise obstruct the roadway).
    • Driveway resurfacing or maintenance. (This does not include new driveway installation, pavement widening, or change of driveway location).
    • The City does not have authority over fences.
    • Sheds that are less than ten feet by ten feet do not require a building permit, except as stated above when other permits may be required like electrical.


    The following items may require a permit or approval from the City of Forest Hills and should be reviewed by the City Engineer:

    • Any new building construction or building addition.  This also includes patios, decks, carports and garages.
    • Any new driveways or changes of location of an existing driveway.
    • Any rezoning requests, conditional use permits, Land Development Code Waivers or Variances at least two weeks prior to a City Council meeting.
    • Anything proposed in the public right of way.
    • Any proposed demolition.


    The City of Forest Hills is made up of many different zoning classes.  These range from R4 to C2.  The City is in the Neighborhood and Suburban Marketplace Corridor Form Districts.  A required yard or setback is established by these.


    While the City can answer questions on a case by case basis, it cannot identify or mark your property lines for you. If any resident is not sure of the location of their property lines, required yards, or setbacks they should consult with a Professional Land Surveyor.


    Forest Hills Application for Letter of Compliance or Permit.doc

    Forest Hills Application for Variance.doc


  • Louisville Gas & Electric "Before You Dig (Bud) Line"


    In association with building, construction and planting, there is sometimes the need to conduct ground excavation or to do some digging.  There are many utility easements which run through the City.  Please be sure to call LG&E at 266-5123 to check for the location of those utility lines before you dig.


  • Landscaping


    The City Continues to provide reimbursement for trees trimmed or damaged trees removed provided a new tree is planted in it's place! Our City lost many beautiful trees, and many tree canopies were damaged in the ice storm several years ago.The City has budgeted money to provide incentives for City residents to plant new trees and maintain existing trees. The City will provide reimbursement of up to 1/2 of the total cost of the purchase and installation of a new tree (up to a total amount of $500.00 per owner, per calendar year); as long as the tree is one of the species on the LG&E approved tree list (The Right Tree the Right Place) and not larger than 2 inches in diameter; and the City approves the location of the tree on the lot to make sure it is not in the way of any utility. The City will reimburse up to 1/3rd the cost of tree trimming and maintenance, or removal, if the tree is diseased or dead (up to a total amount of $1,000.00 per owner, per calendar year); as long as such work is done by a qualified, insured, tree contractor who is on LG&E's approved contractor list and a new tree is planted to replace the old tree. Residents must commit to the long term maintenance of the planted trees. We hope residents will take advantage of this program by planting trees and help our planet in the process. Many interesting trees are on the approved list from LG&E. If you have any questions please feel free to contact Sharon Henry, 502-523-5118.


    LG&E Approved List of Trees



Join our mailing list to stay up-to-date on our news releases and upcoming events.